Monday, September 27, 2010

Power Day

November 9 is my power day.  I just realized that this was coming up.  This year is a big one too.

I honestly can't recall why I call this day my power day.  The gist of this day is that I celebrate the anniversary of doing something SUPER difficult.  I acknowledge and remember the perseverance and determination it took to do this something.

This year I am celebrating the 10th and 5th anniversary of quitting smoking and drinking respectively.

I smoked for 15 years people.  15 years!  I quit cold turkey 10 years ago.  A group of my friends decided to quit and we picked November 9 as our date to quit.  I didn't really want to quit, I LOVED smoking, but I was subjected to peer pressure.  Anyway, I haven't taken a single drag since.  Not one.  And, I'm the only one out of that group that remains successfully smoke free.

And the drinking - well lets just say Melinda likey the drink way too much.  So I quit cold turkey with that November 9 as well.  I purposefully picked November 9 to quit drinking to remind me that if I quit smoking, I could do anything.

This year for my power day, I am going to work towards reaching a weight that, by BMI standards, no longer classifies me as obese.  That is 179 pounds.  I know the BMI is crap, but I don't want to be obese on anyone's charts.  I got really close during the paleo challenge, but then I effed it all up and have a ways to go now.  Essentially, I need to lose 30 pounds in 43 days.  Wow, I think that is not likely.  But, I am going to try.  And wow, wouldn't that be something to celebrate on my power day!

I have tried to reach this goal before, but I haven't tried to use my power day powers to reach it.  Activating super power day powers today!

FYI - I'm back on the Weight Watcher wagon.  It works for me.  I'm going to eat mostly paleo, but use Weight Watchers to track my food and manage the amount I am eating.  Weight Watchers also helps me manage "cheat meals" - but really this just means, you can eat anything on Weight Watchers as long as you are accountable for it.

Wish me luck friends.  Its a mother flippin life long battle.

2 comments:

  1. You're mind is the most powerful tool you have. I know you'll use it well to reach another hard fought goal on your Power Day. Congrats in advance on your upcoming anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Melinda! Your power day is my daddy's birthday. Seems like a good day to celebrate badasses.

    ReplyDelete