Saturday, July 2, 2011

My body is my home

I get this blog feed from Nourishing Connections.  Its about healthy eating behaviors and what not.  Sometimes I agree with what they say (like the one I'm going to talk about) and sometimes I don't (like its OK to be fat).

Anywho, today's blog feed talked about thinking about your body as a home.

"And when we perceive our body as an object, we deny and diminish its value. We lose sight of the fact that this body is where we live. This body is our home. We forget that, just as the house we live in may look a bit worn over time with its sagging shutters and fading paint, we still value it and care for it, understanding that this home offers us shelter and comfort."

I really liked this analogy.  Everyone knows how much I like to do home stuff and be in my home.  Maybe I can start treating my body with as much care and creativity as I do my home?

On a related note, I went to Crossfit yesterday.  We did a nice warm up and presses.

The WOD was
Run 800m
21-15-9
Wall Balls
Kettle bell swings
Run 800m

My good buddy Kristin did the WOD with me with some modifications.  We walked 400m instead of running and I used lighter weights for WB and KB (6 and 25lbs respectively).  And it was perfect.  It was a good workout (I was perspiring profusely and sucking wind appropriately), took around the same time as it did for everyone else and P.S. I did it bald and one week post chemo#2.  I win!

But best of all, my pal Will let me shave his head in solidarity.  It was so fun!
Just two baldies, crossfitting.  You know, nothing unusual.

3 comments:

  1. That is a good analogy about the body being our home. Am pretty sure I wouldn't treat our home the way I sometimes treat my body. Thanks for the insight, Mo.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally shave my head in solidarity, but Will told me not to because I have "flawless hair". Ha!

    I will, however, be removing all my leg and armpit hair with a medieval torture device today. In solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, thank you for your bravery.

    ReplyDelete