Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hair....it's still there!

So my hair is holding on strong.  Yesterday was the first day on average it can start to come out.  My leg and armpit hairs are growing much slower though.  That is not a bad thing.

From what I have read, the most disturbing part of chemo is when large clumps of hair come out in your hand.  Or are on the pillow when you wake up.  Or are on the floor around your house.  I would have to say that I would find this disturbing.  So people recommend cutting your hair short to avoid the drama.  I was going to shave mine - and have the mohawk for a bit.  However, my doc wants me to leave at least an inch.  They worry that you could nick yourself and risk infection with a shave.  So I am going to go for this:

My friends are throwing me a little party on Thursday.  Kind of a shower of sorts where people bring scarves and hats and earrings and what not.  In return, I will be cutting off my hair for them.  My lovely host (pal Alison) has found a real life hair stylist that will do the honors.  But maybe I'll let each person cut a chunk off.  How often is it that you get to cut your friends hair?  In chunks?

Of course I think I have a pea head.  I'm afraid I will have this tiny pea had on a large body.  Stupid weight gain doesn't help.  Anywho - I have never had hair this short.  Maybe I'll love it??!!  Last short hair cut I had was a bowl.  Here is evidence of that disaster:
That's me in the middle.  With my bowl.  Circa 1995?
I couldn't crop out my friends Shae and Shane.
Sorry - you made the blog unintentionally.  Hope you don't mind.
Oh yeah, yesterday was my first day back to work - physically in the office at least.  Except for one very insensitive comment, everyone was great and supportive.  The morning was a little rocky - didn't feel great, but it got better as the day went.  Had my bag packed for the gym after work, but just didn't have any energy left.  I think if I want to get back to exercising, it might have to be in the morning.  :(

Today I will have my very first acupuncture treatment.  I hate needles.  But I have an open mind and hope that it can help me physically and emotionally.

I am actually looking forward to having short hair now - it will be fun to have something new!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so looking forward to Thursday! What are your favorite colors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh, the 90's!!! Were they not fabulous!!! Shane was pretty safe with his choice of style!!!! Your new short do will look amazing girl!!! Can't wait to see pics!!!!!

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the new "Do" Mel-Bel! I'm sure it's going to look just as good on you as it does in the two pictures above!! Love ya! Tam (I still can't ever get the post comment to work w/o setting to Anyonymous!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some cool people with glitter chucks that work out some mornings...just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nelly, I like the colors in my blog...and black and white!

    Thanks shae and Tam!

    Linds, agreed and noted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know most cancer patients get very flustered about the hair loss and their looks deteriorating.Your hair is good (touch wood) and I hope you continue to fight just as brave.

    ReplyDelete