Sunday, July 18, 2010

Time to be comfortable being uncomfortable

It was a good weekend for inspiration.  I watched the Crossfit Games this weekend in almost its entirety.  They broad casted the whole thing live over the Internet.  It was m'effing awesome.  Those athletes are beyond amazing.  They inspire me to be / do better.  *Note:  The games also made me realize that Rich Froning, Jr. should definitely be my husband.


I bet those athletes were totally uncomfortable the whole weekend and most likely much of the time leading up to the games.  
"Only people willing to work to the point of discomfort on a regular basis 
using effective means to produce that discomfort 
will actually look like they have been other-than-comfortable most of the time."  Coach Rip
That is one skill I need to work on.  Being comfortable with being uncomfortable.  It is only during the moments of discomfort that you have an opportunity to change or learn something new.  Think about it.  This applies to anything in life.  Change can only come when staying the same is more uncomfortable than the discomfort of change.

I am very uncomfortable right now.  It is time to change.  And it is serious time (I believe this is a Mitchelism).

I just deleted a whole bunch of this post.  Because I want to be honest here.

Food and I are emotionally connected.  Happy or sad, excited or bored, celebration or loneliness - all emotions are directly related to food.  Food is my escape for whatever emotion I am feeling.  I think feeling makes me uncomfortable.  Feelings are scary.  This is terrible, because there are some really good feelings to be had!  Mmmm....Rich Froning...

I digress.

I REALLY want this to change.  The closest I have come to changing this emotional relationship with food has been at the end of my Whole30.  I just didn't give it enough time to stick.

I am also uncomfortable with my running especially as it pertains to the upcoming Metro Dash.  And fear and rejection.  Whoops.  Feelings reared their ugly head again.  I am fearful that my lack of running skills will cause my fellow teammates to reject me.  There I said it.  Insecurity.  Ugly ugly quality.  This must change.  *Note:  CANNOT be insecure if wanting to find mate.  New priority - increase confidence.

Best way to increase confidence?  Sign up for and finish freaking hard race with fellow crossfitters who are super supportive and motivating.  Another way to increase confidence...lift more heavy shit, run a little and lose some pounds/inches.

Plan:  Eat good / real food.  No processed crap.  Skip grains, dairy and legumes.  Get fit to finish freaking hard race.  Increase confidence and find man to smooch (I'm just sayin...).

So friends, here comes discomfort.  I've gotten my head in the right place, stocked my fridge with paleo goodness and made myself a little inspiration sign.  And when things get tough, I have to remember that it is OK to be uncomfortable and that if I breathe through it, it will pass and I will make it through.

Change is a comin'. 


P.S.  I am including this photo I found of me after losing 30 pounds.  I'll bet I was uncomfortable then.  That's why I made a change.  I am including a photo from last weekend.  Big difference if you ask me.  Even in my eyes.  Totally uncomfortable.

2 comments:

  1. Something is wrong with blogger and comments! Not sure why none of my comments are posting. They are currently reviewing the problem. Thanks for reading though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're awesome, melinda. i'm so happy you're donig the run w/us. it's going to be so much fun! you're doing to do awesome... our team is going to do awesome. most importantly, it's going to be... FUN! :)

    i've had the same problem w/some of my comments too. not sure why.

    ReplyDelete