Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Weigh In

My Mom was right.  If I keep doing good things to my body, I will see the results I want to see.

My weigh in day at Weight Watchers is on Thursday (we weigh in once a week).  Last week, I weighed in and was up .4 of a pound.  I was pretty devastated because I was totally following the program.  There is nothing more frustrating than not having any rationale for a gain.  I mean, there wasn't even pizza or cake involved and I gained.

What?
This isn't how weighing in looks at your meeting?
So anyway, I decided to put the scales in my house away and only weigh in on my weigh in day at WW.  This almost drove me crazier than weighing everyday.  I had no idea how I was doing this week and it was killing me.

As Thursday approached, I had no idea what to expect.  I had followed the program, with a tiny mishap over the weekend.  I had a little issue with pancakes and chocolate chips.  And before that, I had gone out of town and totally enjoyed a dinner out with my friends AND dessert at one of my favorite restaurants.  I was very worried that I would see a gain again.

My mental stability was at stake.  I really was beginning to doubt my abilities to be successful at weight loss.

Thursday arrived and I was a wreck.  So nervous and anxious.  I hop on the scale totally not prepared for what I would be told.  I needed success.  I needed something to build on, to keep going.

And from Eve, came a "hrrrrumpph".  And I thought OH DEAR GOD I GAINED.

And then Eve showed me the result.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Ok.  DOWN 4.4lbs.

YIIIIIIPPPPPPEEEEEE!

And just like that, my outlook changed.  I can do this.  I can trust and not weigh every day.  I can measure my progress by how well I follow the program.  It is working.  And the best thing, I can actually eat food - real food - and be happy and satisfied and still lose weight.

To be clear, I am no advocate of caring what the scale says.  The scale can make you crazy (case in point, this entire post) and make you believe things that aren't true.  Like, I'm not good enough or I should be punished.  It is difficult, however, when your goal is weight loss.  You do need to care a little.  Emphasis on "a little" people.

If all you care about is what that stupid piece of equipment says, then you will almost always be disappointed.  Especially if you are a girl (freaking "normal" fluctuations for girly stuff!!!).  So how do you get to the point of not caring?  You thought I would have the answers, didn't you?  Well I don't.  I don't know how you get past caring what the stupid piece of equipment says.

Do you care what the scale says?  Maybe dear readers, all 3 of you, you can share your scale dramas or lack thereof?

Here is a little treat - don't lie to yourself - you know you've done a pre and post weigh in.

8 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! Woot! Your hard work is paying off!! I know... blah blah, it's just a number... but it really is so demoralizing to see (even little) gains when you are working so hard, so I am really happy for you that you had such a good weigh-in week!
    I love the toilet scale -- that is hysterical. When I was going to WW, I would try to go to the bathroom right before and not eat or drink anything before...definitely got a little ridiculous! You are so right, lots of us do that whether we admit it or not. Every little bit counts! :)
    One thing (of many) that I find strange in Kenya is that there are people on the streets (a lot of them, actually) with bathroom scales. For a small fee, you can get weighed -- in the middle of the sidewalk with masses of people all around! And people actually pay to do this. I would pay (a lot) to NOT have to step on a scale in public!!
    Congrats again, you are such a rockstar! I'll be back in a few days-- see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristen! I can't wait for you to get back and to hear about your trip!

    I still totally go to the bathroom before a weigh in. Every little bit totally counts! Some people even take off their jewelry before a weigh in. It's mostly mental.

    HA HA! That is hilarious. Why would people pay to weigh themselves in the streets? So odd. I wonder what the purpose is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so weird. When I'm really sore I actually think, "I will feel this sore forever" and then eventually I get over it. And when I feel great I think, "I will always feel great" and then eventually I get sore again or tweak my back or something.
    It's bogus to draw large conclusions from individual moments though. These are just snapshots. What really matters is the accumulation of these moments over time. It's so easy to doubt that we're making progress even though we're making the right efforts on a consistent basis. Oh, the lies we tell ourselves.
    Anyway, I'm very proud of you, but your progress doesn't surprise me at all. (I wish I had the same attitude about my own progress!
    Why is it so easy to be confident about your friends and so un-confident about yourself?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I. LOVE. PHIL.

    Sorry Erin. I just do.

    Thank you Phil. Agreed that it is totally the accumulation of moments. Well said. It is terribly hard to see that in the moment.

    I have to say your progress is pretty transformational. Your yoke is impressive. But agree that it is hard to see this type of stuff in ourselves. We're our own worst critic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Melinda, I knew you'd get back into the groove soon. I'm glad you put away the scale. I put it away and it has been a HUGE help to me. Jack and I have completed 20 days of our Whole 30 which is the longest we've ever made it and I feel great! I used to get really discouraged because the first week I would lose weight and then it would slowly start to creep back on the next week and I'd feel completely lost. This time I have completely ignored the scale and I know I've lost inches b/c I fit in clothes I haven't been able to wear in a while. I also did my first ever dead hang pullup today and had a PR on double unders (45 straight). I may never pull out the scale again. I mean, its just a number that really doesn't mean anything. Although, I have to admit, I feel a huge urge to get on any scale I see. It's like a weird addiction!

    I'm glad to see you back at CrossFit Melinda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Crap Dori! That is so awesome! Yay Dori! I'm so proud of you! Dead hang pull up is like the ultimate accomplishment!

    I call those things "non scale victories", or NSV in the WW community. These are the things that are hard to remember when you get on the scale and it doesn't tell you what you want it to tell you. But they are just as important, if not more.

    I know what you mean. The urge to weigh is so extreme. It is an addiction. Except for sometimes you don't feel good. Which makes it a really weird addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to take a picture of one of the random Kenyan women on the street charging people to weigh them. She told me I could only take a picture if I stepped on the scale and paid her. Hmmm... ME step on a scale, in public, document this on film, AND pay for such humiliation?! I ran away, very quickly. Too bad, though, you'd have gotten a kick out of the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I told you so!
    2. 3 readers? - I think many more!
    3. Keep posting, Mo. You put words to thoughts so many of us have. Just reading the words help us get a handle on what we're feeling, too.

    ReplyDelete