Friday, May 6, 2011

Chemo Schmemo

I went to see the oncologist. She called wanting to see me and of course I freaked out and thought the worst. Turns out she already had my pathology reports AND had already received my oncotype score( test to see what chance of recurrence I have ( I have 20%) and if I would likely benefit from Chemo (I would).

First, my lymph nodes were cancer free and the surgeon was able to get clean margins. This basically means I am considered cured. However, I still need to be treated for possible recurrence and for any leftover cancer cells that might be hiding in my body somewhere.

So she wants me to do Chemo. Sigh. I will start treatment once the drains from my surgery have been removed (which will be cause for massive celebration - these drains suck big ole you know what).

I will get 4 treatments; one every 21 days. I will get the infusion over two hours and will definitely lose my hair (around day 10-14).

I received a gazillion prescriptions and lots of info. I left very overwhelmed.

Honestly, I can't think about the Chemo because I'm still trying to recover from surgery, which has been challenging. Its been one week now. The drains hurt me so badly so I am still in a significant amount of pain. I am taking pain meds which make me loopy and goofy and sleepy, so haven't gotten up and around as I should. Also, I have to sleep sitting up and I am a stomach sleeper, so I have not slept well. Sometimes, I just get sad and I cry. Just because of the whole situation I guess. I know it will get better with time, but it is kind of really sucking.

On a happier note, I got my hair washed and dried today. I can't really raise my arms and can't get the stitches soaked so haven't been able to wash my hair. Mom suggested to go to a super cuts type place which I did and it was five bucks. Awesome. I was also able to go to lunch with mom and try on foobs (post surgical kind=small stuffed pillows) and wigs (I cannot be a blonde). I enjoyed hanging out with mom and I didn't get too tired, but took a nap as soon as I got home.

Tomorrow I will try to go to a Durham Bulls baseball game with my friends from Crossfit. Not sure how this will go. I feel pretty self conscious about the whole flat chest and drain thing. But I will try and it will be good to see my friends.

Hoping I slowly start to come around to my old self. I miss that me. But maybe the cancer ass kicking me is a better me? I'd like to think so.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see you! Try not to be self-conscious--everyone is on your side and anxious for you to be well, no one is looking askance. You still have your beautiful face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You coming out makes me so happy I can not even tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved being around the old you on our day out, but will love the new you and even the in between you. It's been such a privilege just being here and using my mom skills. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete