Friday, August 20, 2010

Crossfit Highs

Oh Holy Hannah yesterday was a good day at the ole bullcity crossfit.  I had one of those days that are the best ever at crossfit.  The ones where you leave and you're like, "Holy crap!  I can't believe I (ME!) did that!  I am indeed badass!"

I still feel pretty happy today about it.

The day started out with Handstand practice.  Maybe you don't know this because I think I only wrote about it on the Crossfit blog, but I LOVE HANDSTANDS.  I made it my goal one month to get a handstand and about 3/4 the way through I finally got them!  It was awesome.  And everytime I did one, it made me happy.  I was doing them in the morning before work, just to have a happy day.  And then, I just quit doing them.  I'm not sure why.

So yesterday, it took awhile to get one again, but I finally did.  I got 2 in fact.  And then I got fatigued.  I can always tell I am fatigued, because my wonky shoulder starts acting up and I can no longer maintain a solid frame on my left side.  Oh well.  I'll take 2.  And I'll take that bit of inner peace and happiness that came with that 2.

Then we did the WOD.  Honestly it doesn't really matter what the WOD was - deadlifts and push press somethings.  It was just a means to the end.  The end being the devil...Afterall, today was a Run Suck day.

So Satan, or Erin as she is know to others, is my super awesome running coach.  I love Erin, but I really hate Satan.  Unfortunately, Erin is so badass, that she has been training on a very injured foot and finally realized that she needs to rest (REST ERIN!).  Alas, Satan couldn't coach Run Suck today.

So Satan had me do the Endurance WOD instead.  What?  You didn't know there was such a thing as Crossfit Endurance?  Oh yes, there is.  If there is a hell, they probably do Crossfit Endurance there.  I'm just sayin.

Anywho. 

The WOD was run 200m and then rest for 3 times the amount of time it took you to run the 200m.  And then do this 10 times.

This is more Run Suck than I have done before I'm pretty sure.  But Satan assured me that I could do it.

*Side Note: Satan is so Badass - that she did the rowing version of the Endurance WOD on her jacked up foot while I ran it.

In place of Satan, my pal Allison G. ran with me.  She is the best.

First round not so bad.  I thought, "Oh, I can totally do this."  I finished my 200m in like 1:06min.  So we rested for about 3 min.  The next few rounds I finished in like 56-57sec.  The entire class was way ahead of us, but my pal Allison reminded me that that didn't matter.  She reminded me of this ALOT.  Thanks friend.

*Side Note:  NO ONE in my class said or did anything to make me think it mattered at all that I was so behind.  This is just me feeling badly about being behind.  In fact, they were all very supportive.

Round 5 was when I was like, uh oh.  This might not be doable.  But we persevered.  And I was maintaining my speed.

The entire class was done and we were only on round 7.  This is when mean Melinda was creeping into my head and saying you are not good enough.  Oh contraire.  I AM GOOD ENOUGH.

By round 9, coach Alison joined us and pushed me.  Unfortunately, I was at max and her pushing really didn't make me go faster.  My max is super slow, but it is MY max and that's OK.  I was starting to believe this towards these last rounds.

At round 10, several folks in the class ran with us.  It was awesome.  My body was telling my legs to stop, but my head just said keep going.  YOU CAN DO IT.

And you know what?  I DID do it. 

I am kind of all teary.  It was that kind of an accomplishment.

Satan was proud of me.  She wasn't expecting me to get or maintain 200m under a minute.  I didn't think that was good, but she sure thought it was.  She also was proud that I did all 10 rounds.  Maybe Satan isn't so bad after all.

This is what I am hoping the Dash is like next week (HOLY CRAP ITS NEXT WEEK!).  I hope my team is supportive (I know they will be and I of them).  I hope that I am not the slowest one, but if I am that is totally OK because my pace is MY pace.  I think it will be hard, but I will tell myself I CAN DO IT and I will BELIEVE IT.  And I guess most of all, I hope I have fun.  And I want the medal.  Well!  I do!  :)

So friends, these past few weeks have been disappointing in the weight loss arena.  But its times like yesterday, that remind me how far I've come.  I mean I think about almost 300 pound me, and I remember her having a hard time running 200m once.  Almost 200 pound me is doing handstands, doing a WOD, running 400m to warm up for the second WOD and then running 10 rounds of 200m! 

So while I am disappointed with my weight loss plateau, after Crossfit Highs like yesterday I am willing to keep up the fight.  And perhaps, for today, I can be OK with almost 200 pound me because this me is pretty awesome just the way she is.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, Mo. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete