Saturday, August 7, 2010

Shakeup

My friend shared this photo with me yesterday, which I find totally relevant to my current predicament...

This is kind of hard to read, but the one I like best is  "The scale will NOT tell you...What a great person you are...How much your friends and family love you...That you can make a stranger melt with your beautiful smile..."

Stupid scale.

Anywho - yesterday I did the WOD which was started with a terrible terrible "warm-up".  The warm-up was 4 rounds of 200m run + 50 single unders.  It was maybe 95 or so and humid.  This was terrible and I was kind of sick afterwards.  Maybe it was the heat.  But I pressed on.  Freakin Ryan.  The WOD was overhead squats and double unders, which I kind of scaled down b/c I was feeling sick.  I am still working on my double unders.  I can do singles, but can't string them together yet.  So this WOD kind of took me awhile.  I did use my fancy new Buddy Lee jumprope.  It really is a good jump rope.  I recommend purchasing one if you are serious about getting double unders.

Now, on to the shakeup.  

I was FAMISHED when I got home.  I had a little snack of turkey and macadamia nuts and when on to get ready to meet up with some friends for dinner.

I decided that I would eat sort of high carb that night to see if it would shake up my metabolism.  We went to Pop's (known for some good pizza).  So I ate bread and olive oil, a piece of bread with yummy crab dip, a salad with goat cheese and pecans and a WHOLE (!!!!) sausage and pepperoni pizza (they are sort of small pizzas, so this is not super crazy).  AND I WAS STILL HUNGRY.  Like, I was not full.  At all.  People.  Come on.  WTF is going on with my body?

So I was thinking this morning when I weighed in, I would see some change.  Nope.  WTF!  Usually carbapalooza's make me gain water weight immediately.  Sigh...

I know I need to read my post from Thursday.  I know I just need to be patient, but its hard when I am actually working very hard to reach my goals and I'm unable to even make a dent in reaching them.  It is frustrating to say the least and there is a tiny seed of concern being planted. 

On another unrelated note (this transition in topics was terrible, I know), I am apparently too picky when it comes to choosing men to be interested in.  My best friend of almost 25 years told me this the other day as I was upset about my current lack of success with the online thing.  She says she has noticed this for as long as she has known me.  That I will pick apart most men so much so that I never allow myself to actually be interested in one.  

Last night, some of my friends confirmed this for me as we perused my online "selections".  A dude emailed me that I immediately dismissed for all sorts of reasons.  After much persuasion, they finally convinced me to email him back (this was comical, as they kept saying oooo he likes "x", so he can talk to so and so (meaning their spouse)  and he will get along with us, because we like doing "z".   And regarding appearances, they said things like, you can change the "Dad" jeans.  I dress so and so all the time (meaning their spouse).  I hate dad jeans, BTW).   

They thought he would be great for me whereas I had only found faults.  Do your friends know better about what is best for you?  I'm not sure, but I gave it a shot.  This was my dating shakeup - did you like how I tied that in?

Anywhooooooo....He emailed me back today BTW and frankly I am paralyzed about what to do next.  He wants my phone number.  GAH!  This is when it starts getting real I guess.   Freakin dating.  What to do what to do...

And finally, another unrelated note...today at Cfit, someone told me I was inspiring.  I was waiting for the typical clarifying statement of "because you've lost so much weight".  But this time, it was just because.  This kind of surprised me.  

I went to the community work out today to support a friend of mine who is interested in joining (DO IT!) and the WOD was scaled way down, so I finished quickly and while not "easy" (Cfit, even scaled, is never really easy) it wasn't a typical WOD, so it was easy relatively speaking.  And this person was impressed.  I seriously didn't know what to say.  I kept thinking - have you not looked around?  I am so on the bottom of the totem pole at our gym.  Well, I guess I keep up for the most part, but still - I am not usually inspiring in the sense of the actual WOD'ing.  For once, I was not known for being a Crossfitter who lost a shit ton of weight, but just as a pretty awesome Crossfitter (in the eyes of a beginner).  Who knew that would ever happen?

I guess we Crossfitters never really stop to think how far we have come.  Mostly because we constantly surround ourselves with other badasses.  

Now, if only I could just transfer some of this ability to inspire over to my dating world...

4 comments:

  1. Freakin' squatting sumo dead-lifts.

    You are inspiring, M!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo-Yes, you are inspiring for other things besides losing weight even though that's quite an inspiration to lots of people. Remember when you first started Crossfit and how you felt? Just look at how far you've come from that day. Now THAT'S inspiring. Lots of us would have dropped out after that first awful day, but you didn't. You kept at it and kept improving. I think when you use that same drive and determination on the "dating thing", you'll be successful there, too - whatever that looks like. You know I love you and believe you can do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you keep going even when you want to quit - and that's what makes you such an inspiration! plus, your blogs always make me smile - and miss Durham and the great CF community there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Becky - I think you are one of my biggest supporters (other than my mom - thanks mom)! :)

    ReplyDelete